We saw record-breaking sales in the 2022 holiday season. Why is that? Because companies are stepping up to provide excellent customer experiences and anticipate their clients' needs. To make sure you are prepared for next year, read this article from Adobe to start...
Better Your B2B eCommerce Strategy By Mimicking, Learning From B2C – Part 2
Defining & Prioritizing Your B2B eCommerce Strategy
The focus? Driving more B2B eCommerce sales by acting more like B2C.
Here they are:
1. How might you change your business to take advantage of the current online environment?
- More detailed segmentation and personalized offers?
- Can online interactive data drive marketing communications?
- Could S&H or returns policy vary by product/offer?
- Special quantity and/or contract pricing by company, site or individual?
- …and so on.
Caution: If you simply duplicate your offline business online you will not optimize your online selling.
2. What new selling tactics are available in the online environment that are NOT available offline, and how can you deploy/optimize those?
- Adding unlimited brand, product and user content.
- Driving email communication using transactional or web activity data.
- Having print/phone/chat communications that are interactive with online activity.
- Communicating with customers anytime, anywhere via mobile sites and apps.
- Using videos and graphics to inform, educate, train, sell and support.
- Using IP identification to identify and promote to site visitors.
3. What new, supportive technology can you deploy to sell online?
- Build or buy an eCommerce and content management platform?
- SAAS/cloud-based or installed solution?
- Evaluate vendor solutions based on functionality, fit, cost, support, installs, etc.
- Order management and accounting systems data integration is key.
Note: The point here is to NOT reinvent the wheel, but choose a platform that has proven integration with systems you already use.
Finally, the presenters suggest SMBs consider B2B marketplaces like Amazon and eBay, which can benefit businesses in the following ways:
- Incremental sales & margin
- New customer acquisition
- Free and paid advertising
- Improved organic search
- Testing product/price/service offers
Now here is where things get interesting: Pete and Terence don’t quite see eye-to-eye on these benefits.
Pete cautions that you carefully think through the cons of selling on Amazon: Your product starts to get commoditized and compete on price, and the resulting SEO continues to drive traffic to Amazon after you leave.
Terence takes a different position: For SMBs, the benefit of reaching an active shopping audience you couldn’t duplicate yourself is worth the investment. Plus, you’ll also get SEO benefits from having your product on Amazon, and customers are smart enough to come to your website if they wish to see more options, or if they can’t find the product on Amazon.
In any case, eCommerce success hinges on your customers’ experience: Know them, remember them, make buying a breeze, and you’ll be ahead of the game.
Need help making sense of all of these components and the best next step for you?
We’re at your service. BlueSky eCommerce strategists will be happy to share what we’ve learned from working with your peers and guide you in the right direction, whether or not we end up working together.
Get answers to the questions that are holding you back by calling or dropping us a message.
Start the Conversation
BlueSky’s unmatched commerce expertise allows us to help our clients understand how to utilize omnichannel and business solutions to reach, attract, engage, and grow customers.
Welcome to this month’s BlueSky Featurette where we dissect a feature of the HCL Commerce platform or in this case, a feature that is coming soon! HCL is introducing an open-source customer data platform (CDP) called “Signals” to be included in the HCL Commerce...
Welcome to this installment of BlueSky’s featurette series, where we break down a feature of the HCL Commerce platform. HCL continues to push the envelope when it comes to adding new functionality to the Commerce platform. This featurette highlights their newest...
Ten Benefits of Outsourcing Recruitment to a Third Party In today’s competitive market, finding the specific talent that meets your company’s requirements is more difficult than ever. It’s also no secret that hiring new employees can be costly, time-consuming, and...